Posted on April 28, 2023
The Massachusetts Health Policy Commission (HPC) seeks a Program Assistant to support both the Office of Patient Protection (OPP) and the Office of the General Counsel (OGC). Reporting to the Director of the Office of Patient Protection, the Program Assistant will provide administrative and program support to these two offices. This is a terrific opportunity for a detail-oriented individual with strong communication skills to join a team dedicated to helping patients navigate the evolving health care system and support the operations of the OGC. Candidates for this position should be comfortable communicating over the phone and by email, possess strong organizational skills, and be self-motivated. A strong candidate will have an understanding of or interest in the Massachusetts health care landscape.
Duties of this position may include, at minimum:
- Process requests from consumers related to health insurance coverage and enrollment by sorting the mail, communicating with consumers, performing data entry, and scanning and filing hard-copy documents at the HPC’s office
- Conduct quality control checks and basic analyses of internal data Synthesize and review external data reported to the HPC
- Assist with updating the OPP Annual Report and other publications, as needed
- Monitor the OPP hotline and email inbox to assist consumers
- Support HPC attorneys with preparing, tracking, and filing contract, procurement, and other legal documents
- Review and update templates, training materials, and internal procedures under the direction of HPC attorneys
- Support administrative functions through hard-copy and electronic filing, organizing legal resources (both electronic and hard copies), correspondence, and other organizational needs
Minimum Entrance Requirement:
Applicants must have at least (A) two (2) years of full-time or, equivalent part-time, professional, or professional internship experience in relevant field or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and substitutions below.
I. A certificate in a relevant or related field may be substituted for one (1) year of the required experience.
II. An Associate’s degree in a related field may be substituted for one (1) year of the required experience.
III. A Bachelor’s degree in a related field may be substituted for the required experience.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree and at least one (1) year of relevant full-time or equivalent part-time, professional experience
- Excellent speaking and writing skills, including the ability to communicate with consumers over the phone and to explain complicated concepts
- Self-motivation and the ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and an ability to be flexible in reprioritizing assigned tasks
- Strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Microsoft Office proficiency, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience using a database or content management system
- A strong interest in public service and working to advance affordable, high-quality, equitable health care for all Massachusetts residents
Experience working in a public department or agency will be strongly considered. Salary is commensurate with experience. The HPC may adjust title and responsibilities depending on the experience, education, and expertise of the individual selected. The HPC requires pre-employment reference checks and background screenings.
The HPC requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, as detailed in the HPC’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Individuals may request an exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons.
The primary location for this position is in Boston, Massachusetts. The HPC operates in a hybrid workplace model with employees working in-office as required for part of the week and remotely for part of the week. Flexible scheduling options available.
Health Policy Commission staff are offered a great career opportunity working toward the goal of better health and better care at a lower cost across the Commonwealth. In addition to salary, the total compensation package features many Commonwealth of Massachusetts employee benefits for full-time employees, including:
- 12 paid holidays per year and competitive sick, vacation, and personal time
- 12 weeks minimum paid parental leave for the birth, adoption, or foster placement of a child
- 75% state paid medical insurance premium
- Reasonable health, dental, and vision plans offered through the Group Insurance Commission
- Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Assistance programs
- Low-cost basic and optional life insurance
- Retirement Savings: State Employees' Pension and a Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan
- Tuition benefit for employee and spouse at state colleges and universities
- Extended sick leave program participation
- Professional development and continuing education opportunities
- Qualified employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
- Generous commuting assistance program for public transit and bikeshare
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging:
The HPC is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity. We recognize that diversity in the workplace is a source of strength, vital to its ability to effectively advance its mission. The HPC is committed to:
- Actively promoting diversity in our workforce, including greater racial and ethnic diversity, at all levels of the organization
- Fostering a work environment in which all employees are inspired to do their best, strengthened by their different perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences
- Ensuring that no employee’s growth, achievement, or advancement is hindered because of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, genetic information, gender identity, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law
- Holding ourselves to a high standard of inclusion and opportunity that will serve as a model for other public and private employers throughout the Commonwealth
- Promoting our core values of equal opportunity, equal justice, and inclusion in HPC actions and initiatives