Do you want to contribute to the research and analysis efforts of an innovative state agency focused on health care cost containment?
For more information, please contact HPC-Careers.
The Massachusetts Health Policy Commission (HPC) seeks an experienced Research Analyst to join the HPC’s Research and Cost Trends team. The Research Associate will be part of a team generating high-quality, objective research to support the HPC’s mission of monitoring health reform efforts and developing innovative health policy in Massachusetts.
Duties of this position may include, at minimum:
- Working in one or more of the following statistical languages to conduct analyses using claims & discharge data: Stata (preferred), SAS, and/or SQL
- Conducting analyses to understand health service utilization andspending in the Commonwealth using descriptive statistics, regression modeling, and additional statistical methods
- Developing research project ideas to inform and contribute to the mission of the HPC
- Contributing to the writing of policy-relevant reports, white papers and issue briefs
- Identifying and reviewing research and policy literature to develop methods and assess research conclusions, as well as meeting with a range of stakeholders to gather perspectives
- Communicating analytic results orally and in writing to a variety of audiences
- Graduate degree in Economics, Statistics, Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Health Policy, Health Services, Public Policy or another relevant field.
- Professional experience preferred: relevant full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in health policy research or programming that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies, knowledge, skills, and abilities to succeed in the duties of the position.
- Excellent analytic and communication skills, including the ability to interpret and distill complex information into succinct, meaningful reports, and to tailor communication for various audiences.
- Experience programming using standard statistical software in complex data sets. Experience with claims data (especially the MA APCD) is highly desirable.
- Comfort working under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment; candidates will be collaborative, adaptable, entrepreneurial, self-motivated, and passionate about health policy.
- An individual of unquestioned ethics and professionalism, with an interest in public service.
Salary is commensurate with experience. The HPC may adjust title and responsibilities depending on the experience, education, and expertise of the individual selected.
About the HPC
The HPC is an independent state agency that develops policy to reduce health care cost growth and improve the quality of patient care. The HPC has five core responsibilities: (1) monitoring the performance of the health care system, (2) analyzing the impact of health care market transactions on cost, quality, and access, (3) setting the health care cost growth benchmark, (4) investing in community health care delivery system transformation, and (5) certifying patient-medical homes (PCMHs) and accountable care organizations (ACOs). The HPC's 11-member Board provides oversight to the activities of the agency.
As an employee of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, at the Health Policy Commission you are offered a great career opportunity working towards our goal of better health and better care at a lower cost across the Commonwealth – but it's more than a paycheck. The state's total compensation package features an outstanding set of employee benefits which you should consider towards your overall compensation, including:
- 11 paid holidays per year and competitive sick, vacation, and personal time
- 75% state paid medical insurance premium
- Reasonable health, dental, and vision plans offered through the Group Insurance Commission
- Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Assistance programs
- Low-cost basic and optional life insurance
- Retirement Savings: State Employees' Pension and a Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan
- Tuition benefit for employee and spouse at state colleges and universities
- Extended sick leave program participation
- Professional development and continuing education opportunities
- Qualified employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
The HPC is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.